How do I save a file from my Reader List to my D Disk?
In the Command Column, type receive / = = D
This does not work for mail.
How do I create temporary space on my mainframe account?
From the Ready Prompt, type tspace <1-8> and hit
8 is the maximum for Student Accounts.
How do I increase virtual storage memory?
From the Ready Prompt, type def stor 10m and hit
How do I rename a file?
From the Ready Prompt, type rename old filename old filetype old
filemode new filename new filetype new filemode
From the Command Column in the file list, type rename / new filename
new file type new filemode
Is there a way to undelete a file?
If you want to keep a copy of the old file, use copy in place of
If you haven't logged off your account:
- This does not work for e-mail, only files in your File List!
- Type USE TOOLS to link to the TOOLS disk
- type GETBACK filename filetype filemode and hit enter.
- The file will come back to your Reader List. (You may not see it
- Hit PF9 to receive it.
If you logged off your account:
- The file may possibly be restored if you call Operations at X1425.
What do I do when it says I'm already logged on?
Type logon userid here and hit enter. You will be reconnected;
type i cms and hit enter a couple times.
What do I do if something I type is an "unknown CP/CMS
Type the letter B and hit enter. You should not see that message
*If you still get that message, type i cms and hit enter a
couple times. Once you see the Ready Prompt, you should be able
How do I change my password?
This process may be used to
change your mainframe account LOGON password
How do I access the on-line tutorials?
At the Ready Prompt, type courses and hit enter. Follow
the menu prompts.
How do I subscribe/unsubscribe to a LISTSERV?
To subscribe to a listserv from your mainframe account, type
listserv subscribe <the name of the list you want to subscribe to>
<your first and last name> and hit enter.
To unsubscribe, use the same format shown above and replace
How can I find out how much allocation I've used?
At the Ready Prompt, type ACCTBAL and hit enter. Look at the percentage
used line for your CMS ALLOCATION.
How do I do a USERSCAN on my account?
- At the Ready Prompt type USERSCAN and hit enter. A file will be
sent to your Reader List momentarily.
- Type RL to open your Reader List.
- Type rbr to open the file.
- Go down to the bottom of the file to view the login/password attempts.
What are some of these files on my mainframe account?
||Contents of email that you have received and not deleted
||Index to the file above
||Contents of email that you have sent and logged
||Index to the file above
||Configures your account every time you log on
Sample Profile Exec
What are some of the commands that I can use in XEDIT?
'CP SET PFI RETRIEVE'
'CP SET PF2 TELL USERID'
'CP SET PF3 IMM XEDIT PROFILE XEDIT A'
- / to make the line the 'current' line
- e to extend the current line
- d to delete a line
- d* deletes all lines after this line
- a to add a line
- dd..dd to delete a block of lines
- cc. .cc to copy a block of lines, to -
- f the following line
- p the preceding line
- mm..mm to move a block of lines to : ' f ' or ' p '
- top : takes you to the top of the file
- bot : takes you to the bottom of the file
- set pre on : sets prefix on
- set pre off : sets prefix off
- set case m : sets mixed case
- low : makes the current line lowercase
- set tabs n1 n2 n3... : sets tabs at n1, n2, n3,......
- set pf7 tabkey : sets the PF7 key as the tabkey
How do I include part of a file in another one?
- From within the first file, bring your cursor to the line where you
want the second file to begin AFTER.
- Type / and hit enter.
- On the command line type get filename filetype filemode and
What are some ways I can work with different record lengths and formats?
To view a file larger than 80 columns on a single line, type:
verify 1 73
(use PF10 to toggle between left and right)
To expand a line if the LRECL is 80+, type:
e in the prefix area (==e==), or type:
xedit filename filetype filemode (width n,
where n is the number of desired width size.
Within the file, the LRECL can be increased up to the number set by
To change the record length, type:
lrecl n recfm f, which sets the number of columns to n
To change the record format from fixed to variable from within the file,
set rec f v
To increase the number of characters you view in a line, type:
verify 1 72
How can I read a file that is in mixed case?
- Type flist at the Ready Prompt.
- Hit the PF11 key to extend the command line input space.
- Type rename / new filename new filetype new filemode to create
a new file.
- Hit PF3 to exit flist.
- Go back to the File List to view your file.
Where can I find information on printing?
You may find information at
Where can I find information on DCF?
You may find information at
How do I FTP from my mainframe account?
- Log on to your mainframe account.
- Type USE TOOLS to link to the TOOLS disk.
- Type FTP machine(host)name.node
- You will be asked to type in a userid and password.
- Type dir to list directory contents and cd directory name
to change directories.
- Once you locate the file you want to transfer, type:
- PUT Fn Ft Fm (uploads the file into your remote PC account from the
- GET Filename.EXT (downloads the file into your mainframe account
from the remote site)
- Add either BIN or ASCII at the end of the GET command. If the file
you are downloading is binary (image or .exe file) type BIN; similarly,
if downloading an ASCII (text)
file, type ASCII
- Type QUIT or BYE to terminate the session.